Friday, June 19, 2009

My Culinary Conquests:)

STATUTORY WARNING:This post is not for the readers.It's just for me.I'm using MY blog as my personal space.So it might turn out to be boring.But read it if u must.It cannot be that bad!
:D


My interest in cooking was destined to be short lived.
Too bad!!
:P

In the stone ages, girls were expected to know a lot.Washing,housekeeping,taking care of the family and COOKING.

But when i decided to finally befriend my gas stove and microwave after years of giving them 'the silent treatment', it wasn't to follow the tradition, or to please my dad..I did it simply to help my mom.Also, a small part of me thought that I'd be a step closer to becoming a wonder woman I secretly aspire to be!!:P
Like the ones they show on T.V or the ones on the cover of India Today Woman.

Chic,successful,well spoken,well read,well travelled but with all the traditional traits:D

Now I had a very basic idea about the ART.
Switch on the gas.Put the pan.Heat the food.Serve.Eat.

That's it.

Oh yes,i can make omlettes,boiled eggs,tea and the good ol' Maggi.

But nothing proper!

So my first conquest was a pizza.Simple,easy to make and good to eat.
My first pizza was about a year ago.
Well..who on earth got it right the first time?

:P

ofcourse i've mastered that area now.

next,not very long back, was a chocolate cake.
and ahoy!
what a find!

i was finally good at somethin..

i succesfully made a 'proper' malai kofta dish after that. And stuffed bhindi too!
:D

Basking in the new found glory,I decided to make a mango sponge cake.

I had one of those at a friend's..Let's call her C. So at C's place,another friend..let's call her A,got a cake.
Now let's not be judgemental,but hell,A's done a full baking course.She ought to be good!!
Isn't it?
Her cake was pretty,soft,fresh and tasty.

Umm,I can do that too..

So i,very tactfully,asked her the recipe.
And the naive,humble creature that she is..she blurted out everything!!
:P
Or did she??
:x

Now it was my turn.

Clearly,I wanted to have my cake and eat it too.

I baked a sponge cake successfully.
Slit it.
Soaked it.
I sliced mangoes for the topping.
Wonderful!!

Now for the icing.

Cream.Sugar.Vanilla.
Sounds easy..right??

WRONG!!!

I whipped and stirred and beat.
In the end,I got something like a cross between malai and mayonnaise.
To top it all(pun intended), it was insufficient.

The cake looked ugly and smelled even worse.

My interest in becoming a ,as Dollar puts it, 'Cooker' is over.

As for now..
;)

P.S: My mom liked the cake.I've planned to sneak it into her lunch box tomorrow.ALL OF IT.

2 comments:

  1. Cookery is an art, which you can easily master. I see all the traits of a good "cooker" in you - you are not averse to trying different things(who tries a sponge cake so early in their cookery life), you are good at the traditional stuff(omelletes, maggi and now even bhindi), you do it not to please anybody but for yourself and you set high standards for yourself(even though your mom liked it, you found the cake unacceptable).

    Dont worry, next time you will get it perfect.

    P.S.: who the hell is this dollar??

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Adam: Your belief in me is touching!
    Your confdence,encouraging.
    Almost gives out the impression of a calculating mind!!:P
    ??
    Dollar..??
    Never mind..;)

    ReplyDelete